10 Benefits of Not Smoking for 30 Days
Why Quit Smoking?
Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins.
These cigarette ingredients include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT.
Nicotine is highly addictive. Smoke containing nicotine is inhaled into the lungs, and the nicotine reaches your brain in just six seconds.
Here are the benefits of Not Smoking for just 30 Days.
- Improved blood pressure, pulse rate and circulation – I’ve experienced high blood pressure and low blood pressure. Both seem to suck your energy and vitality right out of your body. At one point I was unable to walk 5 feet without needed to rest. It was a helpless feeling, I never want to feel again. When my blood pressure normalized, I cried with relief. I felt like my life had come back. I had so much energy again. It is a great feeling.
- Increased sense of well-being – You will notice less anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression
- Improved Lung Function – When the lungs expand with fresh oxygen, it can be invigorating, and exhilarating at once. The freedom of being able to breathe deeply should never be underestimated.
- Ease during exercise – If you have ever become winding while walking a short flight of stairs, you know how burdensome it can be. It is inconvenient and embarrassing when you have to stop to breathe while others are racing past you.
- Decreased or no insulin resistance – extreme insulin resistance makes it nearly impossible to digest carbs which can cause extra fat to be stored especially around the middle. Any decrease in insulin resistance aids in better digestion of starches and sugar.
- No More “Smokers Cough”
- Food tastes better and roses smell sweeter – You will usually notice food tasting better right away and will become aware of how many aromas you’ve been missing as the breeze carries the scent of lilacs across your nose. It can be heavenly.
- No more body odor – If you have ever stopped smoking for a while, you can smell a smoker coming from across the parking lot and it is not sexy. Even after a shower, there is still a stale odor coming off of them and I haven’t found a perfume strong enough to mask it yet.
- Clearer Skin & Brighter Teeth – Your skin will become smoother, and no more yellow teeth.
- More Time & Money – 1 pack at $6 a day multiplied by 365 days in the year. Comes out to $2,190. That’s about $43,800 over the next 20 years. Plus, without all the smoke breaks you will have a lot more time to be productive.
Habits are not easy to quit especially with years and many positive associations linked to them. Often smoking is associated with coffee in the morning, breaks at work, social events, or sex. This makes if even more ingrained in the subconscious.
If you have smoked since you were a teenager, it can seem like letting go of an old friend. It is not easy.
Then, there are physical withdrawals that can seem unbearable. However, the benefit of no longer being a slave to an addiction far outweighs the pain.
Being free and getting your life back is worth it.
Thanks for reading. Please click the button at the top to subscribe to more great posts.